Colvend, Southwick and Kirbean Parish
The parish boundary and community council areas are not quite the same. The parish incorporates some of the Kirkbean community council area. There are two churches within the parish. A third, Kirkbean Church closed in November 2010. It is now a private dwelling
Normal service time 11.30am (see What's On for variations)
The church at Colvend is the fourth to be built on this site. The first was built in the 12th century. In the early 17th century this was replaced and in 1771 the third church replaced this. Finally in 1911 the present church was erected in place of a church which was too small for its growing congregation. For a description of the current church click here.
There are links to the memorials in the churchyard. Transcriptions on the headstones and photographs of them can be found at Stewartry Monumental Inscriptions. The Scottish Military Research Group website has photographs and information relating to the inscriptions on the war memorial.
Normal service time 10.00am
The church is on the B793 a few hundred metres from Caulkerbush. It was bulit in 1891 It was comissioned by Sir Mark and Lady McTaggart Stewart of Southwick House. He was MP for Kirkcudbrightshire. Kinnear and Peddie were the architects employed. Local craftsment were used and Galloway granite and soft red sandstone were the materials chosen.
The chime of bells was paid for by Sir Mark's sister, Miss Mary Stewart. In 1897 Miss Stewart donated the font in commeration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee and in 1904 nine stained glass wndow were installed as a result of a further generous bequest in her will.
The windows are the work of Baron Arild Rosenkrantz who was related to the Stewart family. Having studied stained glass work for Tiffany, he was able, at Southwick, to use the newly discovered slab glass technique, which gives the impressive depth of colour so evident in the church windows which are considered to be museum quality.
There is a war memorial down the road in Caulkerbush click here for more details and further links.
Southwick Old Parish Church
A mile from Caulkerbush travelling towards Colvend on the A710 is a minor road leading to the old Southwick cemetery. In the centre of the graveyard is a ruin which was the original Southwick Church. It was mentioned in Bagimonds Roll of 1275. Edward I visited it in 1300. The church was abandoned in the 1740s. This site is now the churchyard for Southwick and you can find details of the memorials and photographs at the website Stewartry Memorial Inscriptions.
St Lawrence Chapel
Prior to the reformation apart from the parish church there was an old chapel dedicated to St Lawrence which fell into ruin after the reformation. Its site was close to Fairgirth and part of a wall of the old chapel is built into the present house.