Caulkerbush (Southwick)

 

Southwick

Coulkerbush looking east on the A710

 

Southwick is the name of the parish and where the B793 from Dalbeattie meets the A710 is hamlet of Caulkerbush.  

 

At the junction of the A710 and the B793 Dalbeattie Road stands a fine War Memorial.  This was unveiled and dedicated on Suunday 12th June 1921.  A booklet was published to commemorate this event and you can read the names of the fallen,  the unveiling, and a description of the memorial from this booklet by clicking here.  There is more information on the fallen at the Scottish War Memorials project website here.  The church website also has  information on those from the parish who served in the Great War including a Roll of Honour and photographs of many of the servicemen.

 

A short distance up the B793 Dalbeattie Road from Caulkerbush is the beautiful Southwick Church built in 1891. Details of the services can be found in What's On or the church website.   

 

The RSPB Bird Reserve at Mersehead is adjacent and signposted from the A710 just to the east of Caulkerbush.

 

Also adjacent is Southwick House and you can see pictures of its gardens from the Scotland's Garden scheme website.

  

A mile from Caulkerbush travelling towards Sandyhills on the A710 is a minor road leading to the old Southwick cemetery. In the centre of the graveyard is a ruin which was the original Southwick Church.  It was mentioned in Bagimonds Roll of 1275.  Edward I visited it in 1300.  The church was abandoned in the 1740s.

 

At this junction there is also the entrance to the the Scottish Wildlife Trust's  Southwick Coast Nature reserve.  This is a stretch of coastline with wooded cliffs and extensive saltmarsh. A viewpoint in the meadow provides breath taking views over Mersehead and the Solway. A path leads through the Needle’s Eye, a natural wave-cut arch, to the saltmarsh.  There is another Needle's Eye between Sandyhilla and Porting.

 

Street Check provides census information for Southwick.  Use this link for more information.